Globus Cork - Glue-Down Tiles
Globus Cork tiles are unique for a choice of 19 standard tile shapes and sizes which include rectangles and squares. Custom orders for other shapes and sizes are possible, for example hexagons and triangles.And, Globus Cork is available in over 40 unique colors, and more are always in the works.For the greenest cork flooring, select the glue-down cork tiles. There is no off-gassing and no VOCs in the adhesive which is a water-based contact adhesive.If you are working on a LEED project or are just chemically sensitive, you'll want to use the glue-down cork tiles instead of cork floating floors.Globus Cork glue-down tiles are 3/16" thick (or 4mm).
Cork is an environmentally-friendly choice. The cork oak tree is not destroyed and then replanted but rather the bark is harvested from the tree every 9 years, leaving the forest undamaged. It's not unusual to have a 200 year old tree still producing cork bark.Even better than a renewable resource, Cork is a Harvested Resource.Only the bark is harvested from the tree, causing no damage to the tree which re-grows new bark.Cork flooring is actually made from the waste of the cork wine stopper manufacturing process so cork flooring is a recycled product.All pigments, varnishes and adhesives that Globus Cork uses in producing its tiles are water-based, solvent-free and have no VOCs.
Unless ordered differently, all Globus Cork tiles are shipped with beveled edges, pre-glued and with several coats of a high grade water-borne varnish.For more information, please see Globus Cork - Tile Installation Guide.
All tiles are custom made, and all sales are final._ Please select the number of square feet you would like to order; the minimum order is 20 square feet.
Country of Manufacture:
Country of Manufacture:United States
Standard dimensions are pictured below.Comparable metric sizes are also available. Custom sizes can be manufactured on a 300 square-feet minimum order, and there is a small setup charge. Please contact us for pricing.
Globus Cork tiles are pre-finished and pre-gluedThis means that your flooring installer will spend far less time installing your floor, and if you like to tackle home improvement projects, you can doThis job yourself.Globus Cork tiles have a micro beveled edge that allows tiles to expand and contract as all natural products do without the edges of a tile peaking above another.
For the continental U.. DwellSmart offers a maximum shipping charge for Globus Cork flooring of $65 for delivery to a commercial address and $250 for delivery to a residence.During checkout, select the shipping method of either 'Flooring, Commercial Delivery' or 'Flooring, Residential Delivery' to apply the correct maximum shipping charge to your order.
Benefits and Certifications
Natural Benefits of Cork
Most of the benefits of cork are derived from its specialized cellular structure.Cork has a honeycomb cellular structure and each cubic centimeter contains roughly 40 million hexagonal cells. The cork tissue is nearly 90% comprised of an air-like gas that makes the material very lightweight and low density.
- Cork is a beautiful natural product and with Globus Cork's proprietary coloring process, there are so many design options available.Nearly any design that can be done in ceramic tiles can now be done in cork.Globus Cork is unique in its tile size and shape offerings.More than 20 sizes are available as well as custom designs and colors.
- Cork flooring is a very durable choice. It's been popular for use in public buildings such as court houses, churches, banks and libraries. The softness and give of the floor causes less of a grinding action to occur with normal foot traffic than on harder surfaces such as hardwood floors.Cork flooring has a very long life and can be repaired if damaged. The oldest cork floor installation in the US is in a church near Chicago dating from 1898.
- The air contained in the millions of cork cells provides a cushioned feel underfoot. It is not so soft that it feels spongy, but it does provide noticeable relief for those who stand on their feet for many hours.Whether standing on your feet at work all day, working in your kitchen, _ _or if you have small children that play on the floor, you'll appreciate the soft quality of cork floors._
- Sound & Vibration Reduction
- Cork reduces the transmission of sound, vibration, heat and thus is a great insulator. The tiny cellular compartments seal air in each compartment insulating each from the other with a moisture resistant, waxy-like substanceThis makes cork a great material for recording studios, entertainment rooms, and any other places where sound needs to be reduced.Cork has long been used in commercial buildings between floors and on roofs under heavy machinery for sound and vibration reduction.Cork reduces impact sound (IIC) as well as sound transmission (STC).
- Thermal Insulation
- Cork reduces heat loss in rooms and even body heat loss through the feet.Cork naturally maintains a comfortable median temperature, never getting very hot or very cool.Walk barefoot on a cork floor and the warmth is immediately apparent.In tests it's been shown that less heat is lost through the feet with a cork floor than with hardwood, vinyl or ceramic floors.Cork is a natural thermal insulator because of the encapsulated cells containing mostly air.
- Anti-Allergenic and Insect Resistant
- Bugs, mold, mites and even termites are repelled by cork due to a naturally occurring substance in cork called SuberinThis waxy substance also prevents cork from rotting even when completely submerged under water for long periods of time.
- Cork cell membranes are very flexible allowing cork to be both compressible and elastic.When cork is subjected to pressure or heavy weights, the air in the cells is compressed.An example would be when a cork stopper is pressed into a bottle opening.Once the pressure is released (or in the example, the cork is removed from the bottle), cork returns to its original shape.In cork flooring,This means that although its possible to make a dent in cork with a heavy object or high-heeled shoes, the cork will recover to its original shape, unlike hardwood floors.
- Fire Resistant
- The natural waxy substance Suberin makes cork a natural fire inhibitor.Cork is fire resistant and also does not release any toxic gases on combustion.